JAMES MADISON QUOTE - 1822

"A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives."

SCOTTSBORO WEATHER - SUN & MOON RISE

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bandstand, Some Say Gazebo, Near Completion


The remodeled bandstand, some say gazebo, on the north side of the Courthouse is nearing completion. There will be a brick garden area surrounding the bandstand/gazebo, that portion is not complete. Ms Judy Weaver, Director of the Scottsboro/Jackson County Heritage Center, tells me there will be a dedication of the bandstand/gazebo planned for April. Tolar Construction performed the remodeling.
update, 11 Feb: Ken Tolar reports that the base will receive a new coat of paint and a spire will be added.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Garry, thank you for that info. I remember seeing some of the older male members of the community sitting there playing dominoes. It gave me comfort of a sort to know that I lived in an area where some old traditions were alive and well. As a matter of fact, my ex-father-in-law used to play dominoes in the old gazebo. He was a wonderful man that took the time to teach me to play. I'm so glad that it is still there and has been renovated.

Garry said...

Thanks for your comment. I will have some other photos in the near future when it is complete.