JAMES MADISON QUOTE - 1822

"A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives."

SCOTTSBORO WEATHER - SUN & MOON RISE

Friday, April 18, 2008

TVA Nuclear Plant Worst in Nation

Since the start-up in 2007 of Tennessee Valley Authority's, TVA, Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant near Athens, Alabama, after decades of being shutdown, the plant has been plagued with problems which resulted in the plant being rated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, NRC, as among the worst in the nation. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/apr/17/nrc-browns-ferry-plant-among-worst-nation/ This demonstrates a series of Reliability failures on the part of TVA at Browns Ferry. The NRC is doing their job. The TVA has hired a new Vice President to Manage the Browns Ferry Facility. If the TVA can not meet requirements of Nuclear Reliability Inspections they must not be allowed to operate nuclear reactors. Regardless if it is Browns Ferry or any other Nuclear Facility in the TVA region, Reliability failures are a danger to public safety. (TVA photo)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Garry, it's me again...your submarine buddy. I can't disagree with you on this article on Browns Ferry. I worked there for several years and saw first-hand TVA's incompetence. I could tell you some "horror stories"... :<)

Garry said...

I'll tell you my main concerns are that of Nuclear Surety/Reliability issues concerning TVA. I do have a military background in Nuclear Surety/Reliability. I'm no expert in nuclear power generation technology and don't pretend to be. After reviewing the TVA's COL Application and NRC violations concerning TVA, to include Browns Ferry, I have some concerns over TVA's Nuclear Program. It is my thinking that if the TVA can't get it right at "the drawing board" and submit sloppy incomplete data in their application, will they commit a more serious lapse in a more critical area? Browns Ferry lends credence to my concerns.