April 3, 2013, Nuclear Regulatory Commission's (NRC) National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Scoping Session (public comments) for the relicensing of Tennessee Valley Authority's (TVA) Sequoyah Nuclear Plant (SQN) located near Soddy-Daisy, Tn.
Sequoyah Nuclear Plant seeks 20-year NRC license extension: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/apr/04/sequoyah-seeks-20-year-nrc-license-extension/
1) Demographics, population - http://archive.knoxmpc.org/locldata/popdata/tn_counties_hist_pop.pdf increase of population since 1980 in surrounding counties averages 15-20%
2) ROP Inspection Reports: http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/OVERSIGHT/ASSESS/listofrpts_body.html scroll down to Sequoyah
3) TVA Financial Report: http://investor.shareholder.com/tva/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1376986-12-43 pg 73, 98 decommissioning fund; debt market pg 45, 46; selected financial info pg 50; pg 88 - note at the top of the page on the spread sheet the amount of decreasing net income over the past 2 years, since 2010 TVA's net income loss is in excess of $900 million dollars; that is very significant. Debt repayment, decreased sales of power and the problems with TVA's retirement are all significant factors.
4) Temp Instruction & Inspection Reports http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/insp-manual/temp-instructions/
5) Press reports/issues in the news: a) Tritium detected in groundwater at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant- http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/dec/21/tritium-detected-in-sequoyah-groundwater/ b) Flood Protection - http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/mar/18/tva-cited-failing-adequately-protect-sequoyah-watt/ Non-certified parts c) http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/mar/29/tva-cited-for-not-testing-nuclear-parts/?local d) EPZ evacuation http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/dec/17/tva-state-promote-nuclear-accident/ e) Knoxville News Sentinel Sequoyah file: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/topic/sequoyah-nuclear-plant/?page=1 e) Ripping the top off of Sequoyah: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/oct/06/ripping-the-top-off-sequoyah-tennessee-nuclear/ notethe close location of the homes to the nuclear plant. No substantial contamination says experts. How do they know if there was no monitoring of low level radiation in the neighborhoods surrounding the plant?
6) Original GAO staff study outlining many problems with the Ice-Condenser design of Sequoyah - http://archive.gao.gov/f0402/097098.pdf
7) UCS Sequoyah history - http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/nuclear_power/sequoyah-1-i.pdf
8) NRC Investigation of Tritium leak into groundwater 2010 report http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1100/ML110050288.pdf 2007 report http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1100/ML110050288.pdf
9) Scram problems http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/dec/15/nrc-flags-sequoyah-plant-over-shutdowns/
10) TVA Nuclear History and records disposition http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/rcs/schedules/independent-agencies/rg-0142/n1-142-89-016_sf115.pdf Sequoyah info begins on pg 48
11) Current, complete TVA SEIS document including history: http://www.tva.com/environment/reports/sqn-renewal/
12) Emergency Evacuation, a) Homeland Security Evac Evaluation, in the executive Summary pg 4; http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1111/ML111160547.pdf b) 2012 TVA Sequoya info: http://www.tva.com/power/nuclear/pdf/sqn_2012_emergencyinfo.pdf The 10 mile EPZ in not sufficient taking into consideration the lessons learned from Fukushima. c) TVA 2012 EVAC Study, Nov 2012 http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1236/ML12362A476.pdf
Presentation by Attorney Brian Paddock
Economics Before Safety