JAMES MADISON QUOTE - 1822

"A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives."

SCOTTSBORO WEATHER - SUN & MOON RISE

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Jackson County Commission Work Session - Public Hearing for North Jackson Park - Little Napoleon - Commissioners Attempt Intimidation of Citizen Over Ch 48 Issue


At 3PM today the Jackson County Commission held a Public Hearing to allow public input concerning Facilities at North Sand Mountain Park. The county commission intends on removing the tennis courts and adding a concession facility, restrooms and a pavilion. funding will be accomplished from locally raised money and county park money. See resolution below, click on image for an expanded view.

The public hearing was adjourned at 3:13PM. Between the public hearing and the regularly scheduled commission meeting I asked the commissioners if anyone had a comment about the Ch48 News article about Mr. Smith's Grandson's hiring and reports that the hire involved vote trading concerning the county park issues involving Commissioner Smith, Commissioner Clemmons and Commissioner Bias. Several very spirited exchanges ensued between the 3 commissioners and myself.
Update: Daily Sentinel Article: http://thedailysentinel.com/news/article_5bbe0e54-0cb2-11e1-b8f2-001cc4c03286.html?success=1

WAFF Channel 48 updated article link: http://www.waff.com/story/15981371/jackson-county-officials-ask-for-better-checks-in-hiring-process


Mr. "Little Napoleon" Clemmons instructs the Chairperson of the Commission: "I am great Madam Chairman. You must follow what I tell you and we will crush those pesky Democrat Commissioners! Viva me power, eh ha!" (image usage rights purchased)
Jackson County Chairperson Sadie Bias gives me the evil eye at a meeting between the County Commission, Legislative Delegation and citizens at  Scottsboro City Hall concerning the TVA in lieu of tax issue. I asked Ms. Bias about the Commission General Fund balance. She did not know the balance, it took 2 months to acquire the General Fund balance form the County Commission.

This afternoon, Chairperson Bias informed me after my questions about vote trading and the hire of Commissioner Smith's Grandson "If I was a man I would take you outside and whip you." Which I replied, "such a dignified comment from the Chairperson of the Commission."

I inquired of Ms. Bias if there was a bond required of the license inspector. I also inquired of the county attorney after the meeting. According to Bias there is no requirement for a bond for the license inspector. The County Attorney stated he was not aware of the requirement of a bond. That is not what the Code of Alabama has to say about this situation.

" Section 40-12-11- Bonds of license inspectors. Before entering upon the duties of their office, all license inspectors shall execute to the State of Alabama a bond, to be approved by the Governor, in amounts to be fixed by the Department of Revenue, for the faithful performance of their duties.
(Acts 1943, No. 122, p. 123; Acts 1961, Ex. Sess., No. 208, p. 2190.) Code of Alabama 40-12-10 (i) The county commission may appoint deputy license inspectors, and the acts of such deputies shall be recognized as the acts of the license inspector...(k) License inspectors shall have the same power to arrest persons violating the revenue laws of the state as is now vested in the sheriffs of the state and shall receive the same fees for such service."

The Alabama Department of Revenue has published a handbook on license issues including the law relating to bond requirements and license inspector duties. Page 4 & 5 contains the applicable sections related to bonding and duties of an inspector. Alabama Handbook of Licensing Requirements

Commissioner Clemmons at head of table hiding his face. His first Park Board meeting after his personal vote and Mr. Smith voting Clemmons onto the Park Board.

Commissioner Clemmons informed me this afternoon, "You are a trouble maker, I have an expressed disdain for you, you do not tell the truth." My reply,"Horrace, you are not telling the truth.Yes sir, I am a trouble maker for politicians such as yourself who think they must control everything. You fail to realize it is the citizens who are your boss." Clemmons replied, "All the citizens except for you."

Commissioner Clemmons was observed and overheard earlier in the day attempting intimidation of other county elected officials. Another County elected official was overheard telling Clemmons, "I don't work for you." All of this transpired in the hallway outside of the commission office. This is not the first time "Little Napoleon" Clemmons has attempted intimidation and manipulation of county officials. "Little Napoleon" Clemmons attempts to project that he is in charge of the county commission.

Commissioner Smith commented, "I'm going to sue you for lying about me." I informed Commissioner Smith, "Sue me, you are an elected official. I did not lie, it was reported on Ch 48 news. I had nothing to do with the Ch48 report. You're an elected official, I'll talk about you all I want." Smith then commented, "You said on your blog my Grandson was hired for vote trading." My reply, "No, that is not what was stated, I linked the Ch48 web site story and stated it has been reported there was vote trading." Smith said, "I don't appreciate lies, I'll meet you outside afterwords." I informed Smith, "there is no lie, you have a problem. If you have something to say, say it now." Smiths reply, "I'll meet you outside after the meeting." (Article which had Bias, Smith and Clemmons upset: http://arklite.blogspot.com/2011/11/jackson-county-commission-ch-48-news.html Article on this blog when I first learned of the problem with the license inspector. http://arklite.blogspot.com/2011/09/jackson-county-courthouse-south.html

After the commission meeting I met Mr. Smith outside the courthouse entrance and we had a long discussion. Mr. Smith was emphatic stating, "I made no vote trading deals concerning the hiring of my grandson and placing of Horrace Clemmons on the County Park Board. I did not know Tyler was going to be hired for the job until the commission meeting. I abstained from voting for his hire."

On July 26, 2010 the County Commission met and a most unusual vote transpired. Mr. Clemmons was voted onto the County Park Board. Mr. Clemmons and Mr. Smith voted Clemmons onto the County Park Board. Commissioners Stone and Allen abstained from voting. My blog article concerning the meeting. http://arklite.blogspot.com/2010/07/county-commission-county-park-saga.html

Mr. Clemmons stated to me after his election, "if I accomplish nothing else I want to have a camping area built at the Walls of Jericho Park parking area." I think that was his purpose of being placed on the park board and manipulating the dissolution of the Jackson County Park Board. Then placing control of the park under the County Commission. Clemmons could project his control over the park funds to begin the process of the Walls of Jericho campground. The expense to the citizens of Jackson county do not seem to be a concern for him.  Other blog articles concerning this subject. http://arklite.blogspot.com/2011/03/jackson-county-park-issues-wednesday.html  http://arklite.blogspot.com/2011/05/jackson-county-commission-county-park.html

 I publically inquired  of Mr. Widner, County Engineer, were employees being threatned with termination if they discuss matters with commissioners? He told me if they do not utilize their chain of command they will be fired. Does this mean  county employees do not have the right to discuss concerns with their elected officials without the fear of termination? His answers were given in public. I also asked Mr. Widner, "were employees denied emergency medical care?" He told me, "no, I don't know who told you that but that is not true." Employees at County Public Works have told me during an injury an employee was denied an emergency ambulance call.

Time for a Government Employees Union in Jackson County?

 http://www.afscme.org/union

There is  a serious problem concerning leadership with the Jackson County Commission. Intimidation and manipulation is apparent on the part of Clemmons and Bias. Apparently there is no open door policy or the policy is a faux policy which may result in retribution. Employees are not allowed to discuss concerns with their elected commissioners under the threat of termination. Unfortunately it appears the Chairperson of the Commission is part of the problem. 

Commission Work Session Agenda, click on image for an ezpanded view.
Turkey Shoot Flyer to raise funds for the Fabius Fire Department. Click on image for an expanded view.

No comments: